1. The club shall be called THE NEWNHAM (CAMBRIDGE) BOWLS CLUB, its headquarters being at the Pavilion, Lammas Land, Newnham, Cambridge.
2. Membership of the club shall be open to any person who is accepted by the committee, such acceptance will not be withheld unreasonably.
3. A member, upon the recommendation of the committee, may be elected at the Annual General Meeting as an honorary life member carrying all the privileges of the club.
4. For the purposes of these rules, a member is defined as any person who within the previous fifteen months has paid the club subscription or has been afforded honorary life membership and in both cases has not subsequently resigned or had membership withdrawn or suspended.
5. The following officers of the club shall be elected and shall form a general committee: President, Hon. Secretary, Hon. Treasurer, Captain (Meldreth League), Captain (Cambridge & District League), Competitions Organiser and Green-Keeper. In addition up to four other club members may be elected to serve on the committee.
6. The management of the club shall be vested in the General Committee who shall have the power to transact the ordinary business of the club, to appoint sub-committees and to delegate to such sub-committees any other duties as it thinks fit. Two representatives shall be nominated to attend and vote at meetings of the Cambridge & District and Meldreth leagues on behalf of the club. Any vacancy occurring during the year may be filled at a meeting of the committee, which shall meet regularly at the President’s discretion.
7. The Annual General Meeting shall be held at the end of the season for the election of officers for the ensuing year, to receive reports and statements of accounts of the previous year and any other business. Minimum seven days notice must be given by the Secretary. All members of the club shall be entitled to attend and vote at the Annual General Meeting.
8. A Special General Meeting may be called by the officers or on a written request of ten members (stating clearly the subject at issue) to the Secretary at least fourteen days prior to such meeting
9. The Annual Subscription and match fees and club competition fees shall be proposed annually by the committee for the approval of members at the Annual General Meeting.
10. The Secretary shall keep the minutes of all meetings and records of the club and issue notices of all meetings.
11. The Treasurer shall collect and be responsible for all cash paid to the club and pay all accounts due by the club. The Treasurer must produce a draft balance sheet at the Annual General Meeting in preparation for examination and signature by the Auditor.
12. The Captain of the day or his/her deputy shall have sole power in selecting teams for club matches or competitions.
13. All players and markers must wear flat soled shoes or slips without heels at all times when on the green. Grey trousers/skirts and club shirts (preferred) or white tops are to be worn in league or cup or games. For informal roll-ups no particular dress code is specified but members are encouraged to wear club shirts or jackets during club competitions. Identical matching woods must be used.
14. There shall be no smoking or use of e-cigarettes anywhere within the enclosure for the green or in the clubhouse.
15. The rules and organisation of club competitions will be decided by the Competitions Secretary.
16. The committee have the power to suspend or exclude any members who shall wilfully infringe any of the rules of the club or act in any way prejudicial to the interests of the club, subject to the right of such member to appeal at the next general meeting.
17. In the event of any contingency arising not otherwise provided for in these rules, the decision of the committee shall be final.
18. No alterations to these rules shall be made except at the Annual General Meeting, notice of such alterations being made to the secretary at least fourteen days prior to such a meeting.
19. The Hon. Treasurer and Hon. Secretary shall be ex-officio members of all sub-committees.
20. In the event of the club not being able to continue (e.g. lack of membership, amalgamation, loss of green, etc) an extraordinary General Meeting shall be called by the Secretary giving 14 days notice to all members to agree disposal of the club’s assets (which shall not be for the beneficial interest of individual members).
21. These rules shall be adhered to at all times. updated at AGM 29 Oct 2016